5.3 Direct Injection Volvo motor carbon cleaning. Often a problem and done on 5.3 GM vehicles - why not on boats?

Gary Vann

Recruit
5.3 Direct Injection Volvo motor carbon cleaning? Often a problem and done on 5.3 GM vehicles - should we do that on the popular 5.3 VP motors? Told by the boat mechanic to run it hard before the no- wake zone and putting it into the slip (to prevent carbonization and misfires,etc.)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
It would be interesting to find out if Volvo has put out a service bulletin on this.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d imagine that marinised versions of these engines are worked far harder than the engines found in a car…where in that form, they sit at 1500-3000 rpm most of their operational life. In a boat, they’d often be up and over 4000 often, you’d think.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
on all direct injected motors no mater what they power, intake valve cleaner is a must every oil change

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
on all direct injected motors no mater what they power, intake valve cleaner is a must every oil change
Why is that Scott ? Not questioning or doubting you in anyway…just wondering. Not been aware of it previously on any of mine. Or any cars I’ve had either.
Also wondering what engine the 5.3 GM engine mentioned is too. Not sure we ever got that engine over here in a boat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’m wondering what real advantage direct injection is vs port injection? Port injection is normally very reliable and requires little maintenance. Sounds like yet another dubious “improvement” like cat converter exhaust

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Why is that Scott ? Not questioning or doubting you in anyway…just wondering. Not been aware of it previously on any of mine. Or any cars I’ve had either.
Also wondering what engine the 5.3 GM engine mentioned is too. Not sure we ever got that engine over here in a boat.
Think this must be one of the new VP engines. I thought they stopped using GM these days.
If these are direct injection. Presumably meaning they are injectors actually into each cylinder then ? And not like the old mpi and into the intake manifold, local to each cylinder ? Do these have a fuel return then ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
in
Think this must be one of the new VP engines. I thought they stopped using GM these days.
If these are direct injection. Presumably meaning they are injectors actually into each cylinder then ? And not like the old mpi and into the intake manifold, local to each cylinder ? Do these have a fuel return then ?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you have many of that motor over there wearing volvo penta and other brands

direct injection motors get a build up of carbon on the back side of the intake valves that can not be cleaned by any fuel cleaners as the injectors squirt go-juice in the combustion chamber.

GM has been recommending intake valve cleaner for 30 some years on direct injected motors

I’m wondering what real advantage direct injection is vs port injection? Port injection is normally very reliable and requires little maintenance. Sounds like yet another dubious “improvement” like cat converter exhaust
direct injection is usually used hand-in-hand with variable valve timing. think of it this way. multi-port injection just means there are multiple injectors somewhere in the intake tract. the fuel event is not that precise. fueling is wet and atomization is about 70% on a good day.

direct injection is up to 5 injections per cylinder event. the fuel is injected into the motor at about 2500 PSI. atomization is close to 95%. the injection event and the valve timing are phased so that you can have a 13:1 motor that idles like an 8:1 lump and then makes power like a drag car. more power, better emissions, better fuel economy

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
you have many of that motor over there wearing volvo penta and other brands

direct injection motors get a build up of carbon on the back side of the intake valves that can not be cleaned by any fuel cleaners as the injectors squirt go-juice in the combustion chamber.

GM has been recommending intake valve cleaner for 30 some years on direct injected motors

direct injection is usually used hand-in-hand with variable valve timing. think of it this way. multi-port injection just means there are multiple injectors somewhere in the intake tract. the fuel event is not that precise. fueling is wet and atomization is about 70% on a good day.

direct injection is up to 5 injections per cylinder event. the fuel is injected into the motor at about 2500 PSI. atomization is close to 95%. the injection event and the valve timing are phased so that you can have a 13:1 motor that idles like an 8:1 lump and then makes power like a drag car. more power, better emissions, better fuel economy
I can’t think of any GM engine like this that we got over here. Presumed it must be one of the recent Non gm things. Not to question you at all, but can’t think of 30 year old direct injection VP engine for sure at least. What’s the details on these engines Scott? Often we just don’t get some engines here, that you guys do.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I can’t think of any GM engine like this that we got over here. Presumed it must be one of the recent Non gm things. Not to question you at all, but can’t think of 30 year old direct injection VP engine for sure at least. What’s the details on these engines Scott? Often we just don’t get some engines here, that you guys do.
look at the Vauxhalls, Opels and Saabs and other GM direct injected motors. dont just limit yourself to boats. the 2.0/2.2/2.4 ecotech motor started life as an Opel power plant

that work migrated to the ATLAS motors 20 years ago and the V-motors about 15 years ago

That motor technology has been around in various forms globally since 1994 or 29 years

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
look at the Vauxhalls, Opels and Saabs and other GM direct injected motors. dont just limit yourself to boats. the 2.0/2.2/2.4 ecotech motor started life as an Opel power plant

that work migrated to the ATLAS motors 20 years ago and the V-motors about 15 years ago

That motor technology has been around in various forms globally since 1994 or 29 years
Yeah…some of those for sure. Totally agree. Suppose I was thinking around boats, Volvo penta, GM and a 5.3 perhaps.
I had the incredible 2.0 SFi redtop engine in a Vauxhall car. Amazing engine. The ecotech things were horrible things though. That engine would have been one of the first of that type, I’d think. That redtop engine I had was actually used in cars around 1990 to be fair.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
can't specifically speak of GM direct engine, but from what I've seen, non turbo direct injection engines don't really have much of an issue with carbonized valves. Turbo engines can be a little dirty, a air/oil separator does wonders.

Most manufacturers have gone down the path of a +1 injector. Basically combine direct injection with a single injector in the intake that triggers at high throttle levels.