5.0GXi-C Engine Cranks but won't start

shwannz

Cadet
I have had a couple of guys take a look at it in lieu of Volvo allowing me to have some of their previous time in 4 or 5 days time. A number of so called mechanics have said that it could be the coil and I am having it replaced tomorrow morning (as we are not able to use the Volvo Penta computer till Saturday). Has anyone had a similar issue?
I have done all the basic checks:
  • Gear in neutral
  • lanyard in place
  • fueled up
  • battery works fine
  • fuel pump works (5 seconds at first key turn)
  • fuses are great
  • sparks have been replaced less that 15 hours ago
  • engine had it's 100 hour service 15 hours ago

The engine was working fine all day yesterday, with many starts and stops with no issues. We dropped anchor for lunch and it just didn't start right after. The engine is in a Monterrey 204fs.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 5.0GXi-C Engine Cranks but won't start

I have a 5.0GXi-B. The one starting issue I've had in five years with this engine was caused by a cracked rotor. Easy fix, but hard to diagnose.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have spark?

NoExcuses

Seaman

I've recently had intermittent issues with my fuel pump not priming before start-up, I believe that the fuse/relay box has gone bad due to vibration and is affecting the fuel pump relay operation. Maybe you are having a similar problem that is affecting the ignition relay or something else within the box. See VP Service Bulletin P-37-2.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/V... V01 Fuse Relay box replaced.pdf

shwannz

Cadet

I had the coil replaced and the engine started first crank over. Not sure how the coil could go bad 115hours into the life of an engine. Did I not do something properly?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

. Did I not do something properly?

i do not think a wrecked coil can be user related. its like suddenly getting a schlaffen shwaannz - its happens and you cannot figure out why :)

shwannz

Cadet

haha....well we had a great weekend either way. Thanks for the help :)