5.0GLPWTR, fuel pump question

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So today we tried launching our carb'd boat, a '99 CC with the 5.0GLPWTR. Per our normal procedure (we've been out several times this year so far), I pumped the throttle twice and started the cold engine. Started normally and idled for about 45 seconds at which point the engine stopped. Did some quick troubleshooting at the ramp but eventually pulled the boat back out and went home.
Once home, I verified 12v at post #30 of the relay and then jumped #30 and #87. No sound whatsoever from the low pressure fuel pump. I then removed the wiring harness at the top of the fuel pump and got 12v there when the ignition switch is in the start position. Further, I pulled the cover to the fuel bowl at the carb and very little fuel dripped out - definitely not getting fuel to the carb. Sprayed a touch of starting fluid down the throat and the engine started instantly.
Seems to me that the fuel pump is bad, but I've read some threads which had the same symptoms as mine, including no function from the pump when jumping #30 and #87, yet they claim their issue was the anti-siphon valve in the tank? I felt confident enough to order a new fuel pump along with the two o-rings, but while I'm waiting I just wanted to run the scenario by the experts.
Thanks in advance for responses.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Yeah, could be the fuel pump is faulty. Yours certainly wouldn't be the first. True test is a fuel pump pressure test followed by a vacuum test. Both could indicate an issue in the system before the pump.

There is more to the fuel supply system than just an anti siphon valve, lines, pump and carburetor

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the response. Typically the pump makes some noise, vibrates or gives an indication that its working, correct? I feel no change nor hear anything when 12v is applied

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Volvo electric fuel pumps are known to make more noise than other brands but will squeal quite loud when about to fail. If yours makes no noise when 12 (+) volts is directly applied its a safe bet the pump has failed.

Keep in mind its a good idea to inspect the entire fuel system too, filters and such

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks. The fuel lines are all in good shape, the fuel is fresh, and I rebuilt the carb two years ago. I also winterize the carb every year too and have done all my own maintenance since 2012. The boat ran perfectly just a few weeks ago, something suddenly has changed and I'm feeling that it's the fuel pump. Thx

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just to follow up, it was the fuel pump. Replaced with a new pump and o-rings, primed it, and it fired right up.
Thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Just to follow up, it was the fuel pump. Replaced with a new pump and o-rings, primed it, and it fired right up.
Thanks
Thank you for follow up, glad you're back on the water

Did you perchance check fuel pump pressure/vacuum? And if so what were the #'s?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thank you for follow up, glad you're back on the water

Did you perchance check fuel pump pressure/vacuum? And if so what were the #'s?
Thanks!
I did not, as I don't have the proper test equipment. Wish I did have those tools in my kit though.