5.0 mpi mercruiser ecm question

stollja

Recruit
i have a 03 mercruiser 5.0 mpi with bravo outdrive standard cooling that i just rebuilt and dont have a ecm. it says i need ecm 864376t05, im looking for a used ecm, ive found a bunch of 5.0mpi ecms on ebay, my question is what is different about all the ecms, why wont any 5.0 ecm work with my motor

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: 5.0 mpi mercruiser ecm question

Merc has many ECM's to fit many engine models they make. Some are for Alpha drives, Bravo drives, inboards, closed cooling, etc.

Each one has different programs built in and many of them may not work or work properly for your engine model.

One of the biggest concerns would be to find one that fits your stern drive model.

As an example, Have a look at the notes to the right of the part numbers. http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=8093&bnbr=40&bdesc=Electrical+Components

Good luck.:)

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 5.0 mpi mercruiser ecm question

i have a 03 mercruiser 5.0 mpi with bravo outdrive standard cooling that i just rebuilt and dont have a ecm. it says i need ecm 864376t05, im looking for a used ecm, ive found a bunch of 5.0mpi ecms on ebay, my question is what is different about all the ecms, why wont any 5.0 ecm work with my motor

Different cooling system (closed cooling allows for the engine to run warmer, so the ECU program needs to be aware of that). Different timing curves/fuel maps, different way they handle shift interrupt signals... Alpha engines have a shift interrupt, Bravos don't.