5.0 MPI Fuel grade.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Just got a Chaparral 215 SSI (2006) Loving the boat but never had the MPI before on a boat. Advice on the best grade of fuel to use would be appreciated. Ethanol free ?? octane rating ??? any information is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230528_144212.jpg
    20230528_144212.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 3

alldodge

Staff member
Look at your manual it lets you know what octane is required. Increasing octane reduces power available for a motor not designed to need it

E0 is good so no staible is needed during winter
E10 is good but staible may be needed during winter

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Normal stuff is just fine…but my opinion is that the less ethanol content, the better. Just to prolong or prevent deterioration to fixtures and fittings in the fuel system. If nothing else. Some of the more modern engines around, are able to control their timing adjustments, via the ecu, to suit varying conditions in terms of air temperature and combustion states…in an effort to run optimally. Some might consider this argument enough for their choice of fuel.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My fuel dock only sells 93 octane but I have also run mine on 89 octane from the gas station. On the flame arrestor on this engine I think it says 89. I don’t think you can go wrong upping the octane a bit due to carbon build up increasing the octane needs of the engine. Marine engines are very heavily loaded & it’s harder to hear detonation than in an automotive application.
Ethanol? Well E10 is all we can get here. I haven’t had much of a problem with it except during the phasing in I had some red gunk in the bottom of the fuel filter but that was like in 2005. The last time I had the QJet apart it was spotless.