5.0 GXI fault code SPN: 701 FMI 3

Skootz

Recruit
I have a 2008 5.0 GXI non EVC engine. I just bought and installed the VP easy connect and it’s giving me the code SPN: 701 FMI 3. I can’t find any good information about the code online. I think the boat is going into limp mode and it runs rough at idle. Does anyone know what the code means and what can cause it?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Google search came back as digital output circuit high or shorted.

If the engine is equipped with the hvs igniton (flat GM distributor cap) the only thing I can think is the sensor in the distributor is having an issue? Check the harness connection to it, if it's good try running the engine with it disconnected, it's possible it will trigger a faulty and see if it is similar to what you are getting now

Drjeffgut

Cadet
I have a VP 2012 Chap with the same issue. That code is auxillary #1, trim sensor high voltage error. I am actually troubleshooting it right now. I will be running and get a short beep and display warning, then it will go out. My manual says there is a 3 wire circuit with a resistor on that circuit on the newer boat, but the older boats are a 2 wire circuit and it leads back to pin 46 on the ECM. This is from the manual:

3 Wire Trim Sensor
A new 3 wire trim sensor (potentiometer) is used on all EGC engines built after May 06.
Wiring for the sensor is shown in figure 38. It is fed 5 volts from 5 Volt Reference #1,
grounded by Sensor Return #1 and then has its own signal wire back to the ECM. This signal
wire is a pull up circuit so if the signal wire becomes open circuited, the ECM will see 5 volts
on the signal wire. The signal wire connects between the trim sensor and ECM pin 46.
Without Resistor Protection With Resistor Protection
Figure 38 3 Wire Trim Sensor: SX-A / XHP-B / XXP-A & OXi TSK’s with EGC Non-EVC
Engines

Internally, the potentiometer has the same resistance range as the previous senders (in 520
of travel), so the trim input voltage range for this sensor will remain about the same. As with
the previous 2 wire sender, the technician will be able to see trim input voltage on the scan
tool. Mid-year of the –J model engines, a 120 Ohm resistor was added to the engine
harness in the 5V Ref #1 circuit leg feeding the trim sensor. This resistor was added to
protect the 5V Ref #1 circuit from being shorted to ground by a faulty trim sensor. It
looks like a 2 wire connector and is taped to the engine harness near the fuse box. If
the trim sensor shorts the 5VRef #1 to ground on engines that don’t have this resistor,
the engine will shutdown due to loss of the CKP and CMP

Drjeffgut

Cadet
Solved. I took off the trim sensor and adjusted it so the gauge was in range and the code cleared and never came back.