5.0 GXi 2007 Metallic noise

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi

Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi 2007 engine has this metallic noise at 1500 rpm.
It is normal?
The engine works fine without any bad symptoms.
The noise is what concerns me.
Thank you for your information.

Attachments

• VID_20230906_125906 MB.mp4
    40 MB · Views: 0

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2005 GXi and I have never heard a noise like that. Agree to be concerned. Hopefully it’s a bearing in one of the pulleys since it runs just fine. If a bearing, I have a saying: if you cannot find it, it will eventually find you!

Given 1500 RPM is not too far off of idle I would try to use a mechanic's stethoscope to locate the source with the drive in neutral and engine at needed RPM. Just be careful of loose clothing and such.

And I cannot help but comment on one of the cleanest (and not new but 15+ years!) engine compartments I have ever seen. I am totally jealous! Congrats on your housekeeping skills!

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like something loose vibrating to me. Agree with above, track it down and very nice looking engine!

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Remove the belt and run the engine for a minute. See if the noise goes away.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the belt and run the engine for a minute. See if the noise goes away.
I was thinking that too but reluctant to suggest it as I am not well familiar with how rapidly the exhaust temps can rise without the raw water pump. Perhaps if this noise is always present when cold as well as warm, do this when cold but only briefly as suggested. If no noise without belt, then carefully inspect each pulley turning it and pushing it around to see if it has excessive play or roughness or noise. . Perhaps start with the checking the pulleys post belt removal and may find the issue.

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will do as suggested.
What is stranger is, with the engine cold or below 1500 rpm, it makes no noise.
Thank you all.

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agree odd only at the 1500 RPM and thus may not be a bearing. As KJM suggested a vibration of some sort that hits its natural frequency at only the 1500. Like a loose heat shield on a car exhaust > only comes at certain speeds. So, got me to thinking what else could do that?

Try the no belt method as first step BUT is that is not successful, then get yourself one of these dual-device mechanic’s stethoscope (link) that has the ‘sound cone’ as well as the rod (see pic). The cone allows you to rapidly localize the area the sound is coming from > simply wave it around different parts of the motor until you hear it the loudest. Its akin to the Geiger counters you see in movies, they wave it around listening for the spot that provides the most rapid-fire clicks and bingo, they found the isotope. Same idea with no need to touch the device to the motor like you do with the metal probe. With the spot more localized than look via the rod and/or start trying to wiggle anything in that area to see if loose. One possibly is the shield between the bell housing and the motor, see pic.

I know we all hope it’s something simple and not drastic like a timing chain about to give up :-(

Attachments

• Mechanics Stethoscope.png
    Mechanics Stethoscope.png
    41 KB · Views: 1
  • Cover.png
    Cover.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 2

1994almeida

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Above 1500 rpm the noise frequency also increases.
It appears to be a click.
Thanks