4HP 1982 Evinrude not starting

mosalf

Cadet
I picked up a 1982 4HP Evinrude which the previous owner said was running before he put it to rest because of health issues. I changed the oil in the lower leg since he had drained it and there was only very little oil that came out with some black carbon soot or similar thing. I pumped new oil and had some of it oozing from the upper hole and some more black stuff oozed out but not as much as before. I mixed outboard oil Tw3C to a ratio of 50:1 in 10liters of fuel. I filled it into the tank on the top of the motor and opened the air vent. I flicked the switch to fuel, opened choke and put the motor in neutral, brought the knob to start position from stop. Then I cranked the cable but nothing happened. I cranked it quite a few times and it was dead. Please guide me on how I should go about each step to understand this motor. I don't want to take it to a tech unless I have tried it and failed. Please help.

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
1st test compression. these should be around 100 psi or 6-7 bar. then if thats fine check for spark. pull each spark plug out hold electrode against the block and flip the flywheel clockwise by hand quickly. should see a bright blue spark and hear a "snap" sound. if both of those are good are the plugs wet with fuel? if bone dry, it needs a simple carb cleaning. you could always manually squirt some of your premix fuel into the cylinders just a few small drops and screw the plugs back in by hand quickly. pull it over. if nothing eve pops, you have an ignition issue. pull the stop switch ground off the block. if it fires now, repair or replace stop switch. if still no spark, you should do a DVA series of ignition tests, but count on the power pack being the likely issue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # is needed.----Not sure if a 1982 model even has a powerpack.----So remove flywheel clean breaker points , test for spark.

film495

Petty Officer 1st Class
take an extra spark plug, and pull the boots and test cylinders for spark with the spare plug. if there is spark all around, try to start it again. if it won't start, pull the plugs and see if they are wet or dry. dry is no gas, probably plugged up carb.