6 cyls seem to be propped about 4600
8 cyls seem to be propped about 4400

I don't know why?

I don't even have a guess:/
Do you?:love:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4cyl,6cyl,8cyl max rpms

Don't try to generalize them like that, cause it won't work.
You need the make, model, and year of the engine to know what it was designed to do.
Your numbers seem way off base to me. Where did you get those numbers from?

Bondo

Staff member

Max RPMs are Determined by the Cam,+ possibly to a lesser extent, the Induction System..........

It amounts to Where in the RPM band that the Cam allows the motor to Build the Best Horsepower........
And,.... Where the Induction System Falls Off.........

Like Don says,.........
Your Generalizations are somewhat Off Base,+ Totally Useless........

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totaly useless? Ouch:%
I will admit I have no proof
of concept.
Just chock it up to my confused
thinking.
I will concede to being wrong:love:

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Now stand in the corner and do your penance! After that we'll all line up and take turns giving you a public flogging.

...somedays can be tough around here!:love:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Max RPM is determined by piston speeds, balancing, and the materials in the reciprocating assembly. A shorter stroke engine with higher strength/lower weight rods and pistons will safely rev much higher than a long stroke engine with heavy and weak parts. This is why a modern sporting motorcycle engine can rev to 15,000+ RPM and my 454 boat engine is only good for 4500 RPM.

Piston speeds of 3400 feet per minute, or less are pretty typical in boat engines, even high performance boat engines. A GM 350 running at 5000 RPM has only 2900 feet per minute of piston speed. A GM 454 at 4500 RPM has 3000 feet per minute of piston speed. My ZX9R motorcycle running at 12,000 RPM has 4007 feet per minute of piston speed. Racing engines can see 5000 or more feet per minute of piston speeds but they are not expected to last long.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I think the typical marine SBC would do 6000 rpms in car (minus rev limiter).

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a few of the 8.1 and 8.2 marine engines operate at 46-5K and there were a few merc 454 motors with a 56K operating range.
we spun our 427 regularly at 8200. most cast pistons wont tolerate sustained use above a piston speed of around 3000FPM without coming apart at the wristpins.
a lot of factors comme into play at the maximum sustained RPM/load.
valvetrain design,reciprocating assy design,main bearing/block design.
but without a ratio selectable transmission, most marine engines dont need more than 4500 or so.
ya gotta remember the piston comes to a dead stop then accelerates to a dead stop twice per stroke. my poor 455 olds had a 4.185 bore and a 4.250" stroke with 3"dia main bearings. at 7200 RPM my bearing speeds were aproaching limits and the piston speed really was borderline.
eventually you have to take into account the laws of physics.
thats why most small bore short stroke EFI 4 stroke outboards with direct acting overhead cams and 4 valves per cyl can run at 6000 RPM as long as they have fuel and cooling water.
the inertia in an older detroit V8 is rather high.
to keep the valvetrain stable while still moving a big heavy 2.5" or larger valve is horrendous.
to keep the lifter on the cam we had to use rev kits. a rev kit is another set of springs between the head and the lifter to make the lifter follow the cam, that coupled with triple valve springs and crazy spring pressures. this also required special retainer/keepers to prevent,sometimes, the spring from pushing the retainer off the stem and allowing the valve to free fall into the combustion chamber which is somewhat messy at 7000 RPM.

neatest thing I ever saw was a kit to convert a SBC to a 4 cam,4 valve per cyl overhead direct acting valvetrain.
talk about waking up a package.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys :love:
this is the type of dialog
I was hoping for.
If I hadn't screwed up my
initial attempt.
Good solid info d:)