48 SPL tilt assist cylinder

ebusby

Cadet
All right outboard trust, you guys have been very helpful in the past so I'm coming to you again. Am I right when I say that an Evinrude tilt assist cylinder is non-repairable? Mine lost all it's fluid so I am assuming that means I will be looking for a replacement. In the hope that I can find a "used but good" model, can you tell me which other model Evinrudes have the same cylinder as my 48 SPL, or if not the same model maybe interchangeable?<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 48 SPL tilt assist cylinder

Yep, yer right Bill....non repairable.<br /><br />Only one that I know of is the one you got headaches with. <br /><br />What seems to be the problem with yours? Won't move or can't tilt the engine?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> for a few coins more you can convert it to power trim.<br /> that is what I try to talk people into. that tilt assist was notorious for failing.<br /> good luck and keep posting

ebusby

Cadet

The assist cylinder hydraulically locked in the down position. I couldn't even ramp the boat! The up/down lever was giving the cable plenty of travel. The only way to get the outboard up was to let the fluid out of the cylinder (dangerous and messy). I want to continue to use the boat till I find another cylinder or a power trim set. Do you think it will be ok? The only real downside is the fact that I can't lock it down when I run..

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It'll be OK bill. Like ya' said ya' won't be able to lock it down while running.<br /><br />Like rodbolt said, for a few bucks more, convert it to TNT. Got some good after markets out there. Check iboats store.