48 hp envrude crankshaft seals

jamesa

Cadet
The rpm on my Evinrude runs high and will not slow down.I hit the carb linkage and turned off key,still did not shut down.Had to choke it to shut it down.Was told it is crankshaft seals,does this sound right.I rebuilt the carbs. <br /><br />model E48ESLCUS <br /><br />Thanks Jim

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 48 hp envrude crankshaft seals

What do crankshaft seals have to do with failure to shut down? I would expect wiring (i.e. the lead from powerpack that gets grounded for shutdown.) Check the shop manual for which lead to check.

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

Bad crankshaft seals allow air to get by creating a lean state where your motor revs higher than it should, ever run a lawn mower out of gas and have the engine suddenly increase in RPMS before it runs out? A leaner motor will rev higher than it should.<br /><br />As for the shut down problem, this problably isnt a related item.

G DANE

Commander

"running Away" can happen to these bigtwins when on muffs, especially if they are a bit lean mistured. Did you rev it up on muffs ?

jamesa

Cadet

G-Dane<br />I did have it on muffs,but rpm started to go up to a level i thought was to high,so i tried to hit linkages,no luck,tried to turn of key ,no luck.<br />Was told by friend that seals could be bad and make motor run lean and get hot so spark plugs would act like glow plugs.<br />Could air be geting in from some where like a head gasket,hose to fuel pump,carb gasket that would make it run lean?