48 hiawatha 3 hp

steelheading

Cadet
I just today was given a hiawatha 3 hp circa 1948. I know absolutely nothing about this motor. previous owner says it runs. cosmatically it is in great shape. can anyone tell me about this motor, what i got, is it worth my time and expense? i am excited about it, it looks to be in great shape and would to restore and use.
thanks.
i will post a pic later.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 48 hiawatha 3 hp

There may be a model number on the mounting bracket.
It is a one cylinder motor built by Gale products. A devision of the old OMC outboard company now BRP.
The last Gale motors were built in 63.The good news is Gale built many private label motors through the years
so there is a lot of used parts out there and many vendors selling related products.
I think a better description is the motor ran when put away. It isn't likely to run at this point.
But they are simple to work on.Check the top secret files at the top of the Evinrude Johnson forum for waking a sleeping outboard.
Before going too far you should check the compression. 100 psi would be amazing, small hand cranked motors usually only
produce about 60 psi.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah no way will you get 100 out of that little girl!

As stated above, step 1 is check compression.

Then spark. If no spark time to pop the flywheel and see what is going on. If the ignition is original, you will have some work to do.

Pull off the tank, clean it out, along with the fuel lines and filter.

Pull the carb, clean, and rebuild as needed.

Change the gear oil.

Always change the impeller on a new motor to you before you run it!

Let us know how it goes.

steelheading

Cadet

Thanks!!! great information..
Amazing what this little motor has caused in our household. if we get it restored, we would like to find a wooden dingy to go with it.
again thanks for your help and i will keep you posted as to progress, and any questions that will surely come up along the way.

Mitch

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Don't sell the old girl short. I have a '56 Hiawatha that I got in a garage sale for $20. Hadn't been run in years. "Woke her up" properly and she started on the third pull. My 1939 Johnson was the same way - only needed a point cleaning.

When you find out what parts you need we can steer you in the right direction. Post the model number and we can be more specific.

steelheading

Cadet

model # is 840mi257957a was able to find out year and horse power by that. plan on taking our time with this one and doing it right. need to find a manuel though

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That is a 1948-49 Gale 3 HP. Champion J-7J spark plug, 0.030" gap, point gap 0.020", 1/2 pint 30W oil per gallon of gas.

Google "Laing's Outboards - North Tonawanda, NY". He should have coils that will work, plus possibly other parts as well.

steelheading

Cadet

Picture 1236.jpgPicture 1251.jpg
What i got and what i found from clean up today god i hope i look this goos at 65!!
Identifed 3 problems in clen up. 1st crack in aluminum handle mounting bracket, 2nd primer pump and last play in prop on shaft more to come

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The primer pin on top of the float bowl is part of the float When the bowl is full the pin is up to choke or prime it you push the pin down in effect flooding the carb like a choke would.On some motors you would "tickle" the float with your finger.
That motor should have the old style coils which are pretty reliable. Usually if you clean and adjust the points you'll get spark.

Last edited:

steelheading

Cadet

ok so where would be the best place to look for an impeller and manuel for this engine?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

ok so where would be the best place to look for an impeller and manuel for this engine?

Refer to my post #7 above for a parts source. I would be surprised if you could find an "Owner's Manual" anywhere, and eben if you did it wouldn't tell you much more than you already know. For a "Shop Manual" A Seloc or Equivalent for a Gale or OMC would probably help.

steelheading

Cadet

ok top end almost complete. only got 52 psi on compression short of the 60 to 100 talked about here. everything thing else looks great

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Manuals free for the reading here: Viking Manuals "Viking" is the Canadian version.

EDIT: Your motor is a 1H6. Try the Viking C1G6 model

Last edited: