470 mercrusier out drive ,need help now,PLEASE

gto

Seaman Apprentice
how do i drop the out drive . do I have to drop the lower unit be fore the upper unit or will it come out to gether. also the housing with all the bearing and bellows.what order do they come apart need help .I'm working on it now and really don't know what i'm doing. but can usually put back to gether what i take apart. getting it apart is the problem. P.S. ALL THE HELP ON THE STEERING WORKED OUT GREAT. THANKS

Trent

Captain
Re: 470 mercrusier out drive ,need help now,PLEASE

No you dont have to drop the lower. If you want to remove the whole drive, Put it in foward gear, remove the six nuts and trim cylinders and she will come off. Pic #1

gto

Seaman Apprentice

THE SHIFTER CABLE IS BROKE RIGHT BEFORE IT GOES INTO THE OUT DRIVE. HOW DO I GET IT IN FOWARD GEAR<br />I JUST FINISHED DROPING THE LOWER UNIT. I STILL CAN'T GET THE UPPER UNIT OFF, IT WILL SEPERATE ABOUT 1/4 INCH BUT THATS ALL. IS THERE SOMTHING THAT HAS TO COME OFF THE GEAR ON THE SHAFT COMING OUT OF THE MOTOR. PLEASE HELP I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING I KNOW AND SOME I DIDN'T.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

WHEN I LOOK AT THE BACK OF THE MOTOR I CAN SEE SPLINES ON THE SHAFT CONNECTING THE OUT DRIVE TO THE MOTOR. IS THIS SHAFT SUPPOSED TO SLIDE OUT OF THE MOTOR.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

NEED HELP CAN'T GET UPPER UNIT OFF<br />PLEASE ADVISE SOON THANKS IN ADVANCE

Trent

Captain

Keep working it up and down...If you removed the nuts and trim rams she will come off!! Sometimes you just have to drop the drive so it will break loose!<br /><br />The splines will break free...They are not connected..Just splined to the coupler.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

I have the lower unit off but the upper unit still want come loose. I noticed a tear in the rubber sleeve that covers u-joint and shaft, there is alot of rust on these parts. Will the rust keep the shaft from pulling back thru? The housing and everything else seems to be loose, there is about a 1/2 inch gap between casings. ANY IDEAS???? HELP :confused: HELP :confused: HELP :confused: :confused:

Trent

Captain

Spray it down with pentration oil...Keep trying. You will need to replace the "bellows" that are torn.<br /><br />Another tip. Reconnect the trim rams and put a piece of wood 2x4. Between the drive and the gimble housing and then use the trim and lower the drive. THis will somtimes help the drive to come off. Make sure to grease the splines with marine grease to help prevent the problems you are having. You need to remove the drive and grease every couple of year along with removing the propeller and greasing its splines.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

finally got it a part with my portapower. Is that big bearing pressed on the splined shaft? Also is there a site that may have pictures and part # for this out drive. thanks :)

Trent

Captain

Are you saying the gimble bearing came out too? Its not supposed to.<br /><br />What year is your setup. Serial number. I can link you to a diagram.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

yes the gimble bearing came out, its stuck on the shaft. Its a 1979 model stern # 5269693 1.84r

chiefmike58

Seaman

gto, I really recommend that you pick up a manual on the 470. Its a common problem for the gimbal bearing to pull with outdrive when bellows is leaking, causing rust on shaft. You'll see two universal joints on shaft that must be checked and greased. When you install new cable make sure to replace the cable bellows also, because the cable has to be out to replace that one. Manual will tell you how to place bellows clamps in order to be able to tighten when all together. Make sure you use bellows cement.

gto

Seaman Apprentice

What is bellows cement? I have finally got the upper & lower drive unit off and totally disassembled. I ordered mc1 manual,new gimble bearing,u-joints,shift cable,water pump,carb kit,tuneup kit,and all new bellows. but know body said anything about cement. parts should be here fri. or sat. if that manual not like my idiot books on cars I guess you all will be hearing from me all weekend. You all have been great so far, thanks alot