470 Mercruiser re-starting problems

raulmanny

Recruit
this engine (4 in-line) do the first start fairly well, but after running for a while and stopped is hard to restart again. It seems to me that it has to cool down (to ~120F) to restart again. <br />Thanks!

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: 470 Mercruiser re-starting problems

Raul<br />What does the motor do when it will not restart? Does it turn over at normal speed or does it kinda of kick back and slow down??

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

what weight engine oil are you using?

dick

Chief Petty Officer

First thing to check is to see if the choke is stuck. Warm up the engine then pull off the flame arrester to see.

raulmanny

Recruit

The engine oil used is 30W<br />The possibility of the choke malfuntioning is a good hint. Is a electrical activated one. But, I don't think is working properly. I guess that I'll have to look at its position. Buterfly closing the carburator is for cold start (rich mix), buterfly open is lean mix (hot start)<br />thanks all!

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Every time that I have experienced difficulty starting a warm engine that starts fine when cold or cool...car, boat, or other power equipment, I have ultimately traced the problem to an electric issue, most often the distributor. This sounds like the same problem I had with my in-line four, 3.7 liter. I quickly traced it to distributor and rotor...hairline crack in distributor cap and faulty rotor. If I hadn't experienced this several times over a 25 year period of engine diagnosis I might have searched for weeks for the problem. Check all the parts and components of the distributor, along with electrical connections to and from. I'd like to knwo how you make out.....please let us know.

Brzwrking

Banned

When was the last time you changed your exhaust elbow. You probably have a little water getting in and it soon will do more damage. I'd start there.<br />Kevin