470 mercdrive

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How hard is it tio fix the water inlet tube and if needed to go to the shop what kinda price would be good. I am thinking of buying one but the water inlet tube is damaged.

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 470 mercdrive

It all depends on how hard it comes apart.Corrosion can make that job a real p.i.t.a.If it goes good 3-400 is about normal.While the drive is off do a service on the drive.

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is this something I could do myself I am a auto mech and have plenty of tools

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The part I was shown was a bellows looking part that is sandwiched between the outdrive. It is located in the lower part of the outdrive.and connects into the transon area. It looks like a exhaust bellows I belive. I have no book yet so please help. How does the get changed and any pics would be helpful.

Bondo

Staff member

Sid,<br />if this is your 1st boat,+ Your introduction to the Boating World............<br />Don't Buy That Boat.........<br />The 470 was a Fickle Motor, shall we say.....<br />Mercruiser's Great Idea,<br />That Wasn't All that Great......<br />Production Stopped Many Years ago.....<br />There are Many Many Boats out there Without this motor..... Buy 1 of them.......<br />The Only thing that Could be Worse than a Boat with a 470 Merc.,<br />Is a Bilgeliner, with a 470 in it........ :D <br /><br />The job you're asking about isn't Too Bad....<br />The Outdrive,+ Gimbal Housing have to come off....

Stings

Seaman Apprentice

trust bondo on the 470 advice. my 2nd boat was a 470 and now i have a 3rd on the water and the 470 sits in the drive-way. i also have a post called "470 to in line 6 swap" if i dont swap them ill have over $3000 of work to put in to it.

Trent

Captain

You guys hush........I love the 470!! It helps me stay in business!! :)

xsnrg

Cadet

I must be one of the lucky ones as my 470 works great.

xsnrg

Cadet

Well its a 1980 engine so 24yrs and still going strong.

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

no it is not my first boat alsdo why does the The Outdrive,+ Gimbal Housing have to come off.... I can acess the clamps on the outdrive side and the motor side.

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is not the bellows for the u joints it looks like the one for the exhaust??

Bondo

Staff member

You can Try it,<br />But, It's Much Easier if you can reach Inside to pull,+ push it into place......<br />
I am thinking of buying one but the water inlet tube is damaged.<br />
See my post above........<br />You're setting yourself up for Many More Headaches, <br />Than Fun......

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems Bondo has had the same luck as me with 470/170's. They were problem motors that weren't reliable. Given the choice buy another boat...

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I haven't had mine very long, but I have to agree with Bondo and Mike M2, I'll try to keep this engine going for a while, but I forsee and engine change in my future. Love the boat that's wrapped around it though.

Donaldeh

Recruit

I bought a 1984 Four Winns Santana 20.6 ft this month, with a 470 Mercruiser in it. I guess they saw me coming, cause on my first time out the motor sucked out all of the oil, slowed down and began smoking. I had to be towed in to the dock. I got it started the next day and made it back the 3 miles to the marina at 1500 rpm, with a sound resembling a fight using pots and pans coming from the engine, and massive blow-by coming through the vent hose up to the carb. With everything that I'm reading on this site, I don't think I want to fix this motor.<br />What can I swap it for? Are there any automotive engines that would bolt on. If so, what modifications would have to be made to an automotive motor, such as using the old crankshaft, etc.?<br />The boat is now worth about $1,000 if I can't get something hooked up and running, and I only paid $3,000 for it to begin with.<br />Thanks for any help.<br />Don

Stings

Seaman Apprentice

look for the topic "470 to in line 6 swap" im still thinking of doing it but im not sure i want to mess with this boat anymore

skeffer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well as a automech I found that if you take care of it it will take care of you. I took this boat out and it runs great even if it is a 78 motor. I also have a 71 evinrude that runs good also. I've been told not to buy a dodge truck well my last one had 299,981 miles on it and the only major repair was the trans at 200,000 miles. So I thank ya'll for your opinions and thoughts and hope your wrong about this one. If not then I will have fun working on it cause thats what hobbies are for.