.464 timing mark on 71' 1150 merc

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is for a 1971 1150 (115 hp) mercury.

Ok, I am a bit confused here. My motor does not have a timing pointer installed, and from what I understand that year did not come with a separate pointer, they were scribed into the cowl support around the flywheel. And my mark is gone on the cowl support so I need to scribe a new mark in.

Do I need to use a dial indicator, set TDC by turning the flywheel clockwise, then reset the indicator to zero. Turn the flywheel CCW until the indicator needle is past the .464 mark. Now turn the flywheel CW until the dial indicator reads .464 Then scribe a mark at the .464 mark of the timing sticker decal onto the cowl support?

Why cant I just mark TDC?
Do I use that mark I made to check the timing with or do I then mark a TDC mark when the sticker is lined up and use the TDC mark to check my timing?

Sorry for the silly questions but I am new to outboard repairs.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: .464 timing mark on 71' 1150 merc

Tin, While the piston is at TDC, there is a bit of movement in the flywheel, causing inaccuracy. Mercury chose a point in piston travel (.464BTDC) when there is no inaccuracy. Tey then measures the offset to a particular flywheel position at TDC.

If you do not want to use it, well it's your motor!

Tinlizzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: .464 timing mark on 71' 1150 merc

Thanks Chris I will use it for sure. :)

I just have a bad habit of wanting to know why things are the way they are :p