45hp Chrysler No power on the water.

Chado339

Cadet
I have a 45hp Chrysler Outboard that I cant seem to more then 5 mph with out on the water. It will start and run smooth, and idle, but as soon as i try to open it up out on the water nothing. The boat wont turn any rpm while trying to move. In nuetral I can get it the rpm up. Its getting fuel to the bowl in the back of the motor, it is full as well as the bowl under the carb.

I thought maybe I had a bad plug, pulled the top plug out and could see that it was getting spark, however when doing that the motor started and ran just as smooth as it did with it in. Could not do it with the bottom plug out. Replaced them both and tried again. Same result. I have no idea where to start with this thing. Im not to familiar with outboards and have no mechanic in the area to bring it to.

I could probably figuire it out with some guidance and repair it myself.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Chad

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: 45hp Chrysler No power on the water.

I have a 35 HP Chrysler 1970-72 engine that has been good to me since about 84 with various needs that were not bad. My lack of power over the years has come from the following. Plus, I learned testing the engine in my 55 gal test drum is not a good comparison to what will happen at the lake.

1. Due to my year model, I had burned ignition points to reduce my power.
This includes timing and spark advance on the dual points and any wear.

2. I had needed carb and filter cleanings and adjustments to reduce power.

3. I had trotlines and moss in the popeller while on the lake to reduce power.

4. From 2-cycle experience, exhaust restrictions or mixture could red. power.

5. Do you have any history on engine's past performance or maintenance?

Good luck! I feel your pains and will share Pics and what I have learned over the years.

Joe

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You should do a compression test on the motor. Could be a blown head gasket or the upper cylinder is fried.

Chado339

Cadet

So its low compression in the top cylinder. I can put my finger over the spark plug hole while its running. Do they sell a rebuild kit? How much am i looking at to fix this thing? And is it qorth the fix?

Chado339

Cadet

If anyone has any idea of where I could find these parts I would appreciate the tip. My motor is a 458HB. I called fairwinds marina today an I guess they no longer make replacement piston rings and head gaskets, but I have been ordering other parts for that motor over the past year. A little bummed right now.

Chado339

Cadet

anywhere i can find the original part numbers of these parts to cross reference over?