454 timing issue

rwjacobs

Seaman Apprentice
I have a rebuilt 454 (model 1992) and am having timing issues. The dealer has tried to set the timing, but it went form soso, to worse. I am only getting 3200RPM's (before it was 3700) and I am having some problems starting and keeping it running. Is there anything I can do quickly to restore a little of my rpm's without taking it back to the dealer. I know that I can advance the dictributor manually, but what are my indications when idling that I am going in the right direction? SHould I even attempt this without a strobe light? And what should the timing setting be? btdc @rpm?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Ronald

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 454 timing issue

Probably 8-10 btdc. But I'd sure check it with a lite. I would also use the light to see if the distributor advance was working. Don't just do it by feel.

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 454 timing issue

Hans, you might try to set the timing "on the go"<br />with the distributor just tight enough to be able to turn by hand,have someone else drive the boat to WOT and best trim and advance or retard the timing for higher RPM. An old salt told me about this and as he said "with older motors sometimes hands on beats the books" Just be careful around the coil and I guess rubber gloves might help as well.