44-hp Volvo Penta model 2003-T: how to remedy oil clumps?

Sue F

Recruit
During my last voyage my port engine died repeatedly. We changed the oil and found large clumps. My engine is situated so that I must pump out the oil to change it. I guess I could drain it into the bilge and just clean it up, but that seems like a hassle. My boat is about a week's sail from a reliable mechanic, who recommends that I don't run it until he can service it. As it's difficult to dock with just one of 2 engines operational, I'd prefer to try another oil change and get it running first thing. I have no clue what he will do other than change the oil again and somehow assure all the clots are out. Seems I could accomplish this, but due to my diesel-engine ignorance, I am concerned running the engine again w/out professional service could damage it. If anyone has any informed advice for me on this predicament, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks, Sue

alldodge

Staff member
Can you get some kind of a drain pan under the motor?

Maybe cut one side out of a oil jug and lay it under the motor. Suck out all the oil you can before pulling the plug. Let the rest drain into the jug then suck that out.

If you can get the plug out and drained, then get a hose drin kit like in the link. Just need to make sure it will fit your pan
https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-Permanent-Drain-Hose-Fitting/dp/B00144EGNS

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. If you could perhaps tell us a little more about these clumps. What did they look and feel like ? You can tell or assume a few things from oil condition usually. Although I mostly see or respond to the usual petrol motor related thing here (at quite an amateur or limited level compared to some of the excellent guys on here), diesels are what I’d like to think I know best. With that, I’d suggest that only a couple of things would cause the oil to form clumps in it. None of which are good. Love to know more and hopefully help a little.