42# minn kota

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
I have a chance to get a 42# elect motor for 85 bucks
Have a 18 ft Alum starcraft..

Not looking for speed, but a just in case..2 mph is better than paddling..

What do you guys think? I am ignorant on this subject

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 42# minn kota

I'd prefer to pay closer to $50 for a used electric motor but that price seems decent compared to what a new one costs.

Knowing the you probably aren't going to use it for fishin though Kev....I'd rather see you put the money for this motor plus what a deep cell battery would cost towards a small outboard.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'd prefer to pay closer to $50 for a used electric motor but that price seems decent compared to what a new one costs.

Knowing the you probably aren't going to use it for fishin though Kev....I'd rather see you put the money for this motor plus what a deep cell battery would cost towards a small outboard.

sound advice Ol Ez one....
I am not going to use it much..maybe to get sneak into a fishy area once in awhile..
Mainly just in case I need to make it back to the dock, based on my fab mechanical skills..lol

Huron Angler

Admiral

Is it a transom-mount or bow? If bow-mount that is a screaming deal, buy it right now(for $80 I doubt that it is:() I've been looking for a 40-55lb bow-mount under $200 myself and have had no luck.

You can buy a brand new 30lb Minn Kota transom-mount for around $100 so I don't think $80 for a used one is the best deal. It does have a little more power though...

The upside of a cheap electric over a cheap/reasonable outboard would be reliability but a little kicker is way cooler:)

I think EZ just wants to see you own an OB and I agree 100%, especially since you already have a kicker bracket on the B-Ticket;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Is it a transom-mount or bow? If bow-mount that is a screaming deal, buy it right now(for $80 I doubt that it is:() I've been looking for a 40-55lb bow-mount under $200 myself and have had no luck.

You can buy a brand new 30lb Minn Kota transom-mount for around $100 so I don't think $80 for a used one is the best deal. It does have a little more power though...

The upside of a cheap electric over a cheap/reasonable outboard would be reliability but a little kicker is way cooler:)

I think EZ just wants to see you own an OB and I agree 100%, especially since you already have a kicker bracket on the B-Ticket;)

Hey bud..
ya its a transom mount...I have seen the 30# at BPS, but think they would be wimpy..

What makes me nervous is that minn kota doesnt make the 42 anymore...there has to be a reason..
This is kinda a "for now" thing till I find the right $$$ kicker...Like a vintage 10 hp johnson or rude

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well..I went ahead and picked up the Minn Kota..But oooooh its a 42# turbo

Hope to see if she pushes me around OK this weekend

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

good god that's a long shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (TWSS)