41-993 Gaping

NetRider

Recruit
Ahoy!
I just bought a 2004 Monterey Montura 200 LS. Boat is all original with only 70 engine hours and in pristine condition for a 16 year old boat.
Unfortunately it doesn't appear the PO preformed regular maintenance. Besides other maintenance I preformed (changed the impeller and water separator filter) I pulled the plugs only to find the originals, 16 ish years old (and in fairly good condition considering the age). I decided to just put AC's back in and opted to fork over $8.99 a piece for them.
My question, Ive read varying opinions on adjusting the factory GAPing on these particular plugs. Suggesting that adjusting the factory GAP will damage them and to just throw them in as they are. I checked the factory GAPing and many were 0.005 off. I already adjusted the GAP's to get them closer to the 0.060 as recommended and installed them with the recommended 20 ft lbs torque. Did I just waste $72 by adjusting the GAP? I haven't had a chance to start it up since I changed them out last night. I plan to throw on the Muffs and start it up after work today.

Cheers!

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
The reason people say it can be an issue adjusting these is because the tiny iridium electrode is fragile. If you were careful, it should be fine. They are supposed to be gapped at .059 or .060 from box.

Last edited:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You didn’t ruin the plugs. What you more then likely did do is change them to cheap plugs.
When you change the gap on these plugs you run a high risk of damaging the coating that allows them to last so long.
They probably won’t last 16 years. But they will last at least as long as conventional plugs.
If the gap is more then a few thousands off, it’s recommended you exchange them.