40hp primer solenoid setting?

I wondering exactly where that red lever on my 1985 40hp primer solenoid needs to be set?...Right now it's set at about a 45 degree angle, but it appears as though the engine is getting too much fuel....if I set the red lever too far either way, then no gas gets through the two smaller fuel lines leading to the top-rear of the carbs and the engine dies....where should this be set?

another stupid question is should there be a steady flow of gas going through the smaller fuel lines while the engine is idling or any at all?

Thanks for any help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 40hp primer solenoid setting?

do not know for sure about your engine, but on my 88 88spl the red knob is inline with the transom, the tip pointing toward the port side of the boat. this is for the key to activate. this is wrong for your engine, just consulted manual for inline engines its on the starboard side of the engine. and show the lever inline with the center of the solenoid, tip pointing astearn.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yep, thats what the manual shows.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yep, Like they said, just like this is normal run position. When in the run position, there should be no flow through the lines. Only when you activate the solenoid by pushing in on the key switch, does fuel flow through them to enrichen the engine for starting. If when you put the lever to the run position the motor dies, it indicates a carburetor problem (Clogged) and can only be fixed by disassembly and a thorough cleaning using repair kits when you do it...

Primercloseup.jpg