40hp Johnson Not getting gas

Frdtrtnfx4

Seaman Apprentice
I am running a 40hp 2 stroke Johnson on a 16ft lowe bass boat. The problem i am having with the motor is that i believe it is not getting gas. The motor starts fine but after running it at full throttle for 10-20 seconds, the motor boggs down and nearly dies until i pump the ball on the gas line, then its fine. IF i have someone constantly pumping the ball on the gas line, the motor runs fine. Could it be the line or the fuel pump or neither, please help. Thanx

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40hp Johnson Not getting gas

You don't list the model number so we have no idea what year that 40hp Johnson might be, However....... the obvious problem is that the fuel pump is not functional for some reason.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

It could be the valve in the squeeze bulb on the fuel line ... and/or ... the fuel pump ... and/or the float/needle valve in the carburetor. Any of those failing would cause the motor to not get enough gas!

Or ... it's not beyond possible that there's a foreign object floating around in the carb bowl that's blocking the passage to the needle valve, or the high speed jet.

How old is the motor? Is it new to you? Have you ever cleaned and/or rebuilt the carbs and/or the fuel pump? It might also help to tell us the model number!

Frdtrtnfx4

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry guys its a 1997. I have had it for 2 years now, and this is the first problem i have had with it.

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

So I take it that means you personally haven't dug into the carbs or the fuel pump!

Can you give us the model number off the plate on the transom mount?