402 Mercury carburator

icon07

Cadet
Hi everyone.
I have 402 40hp Mercury. i bought it last yearl. last owner toll me that the boat have not put in water for more than 12 years. yesterday i changed new impellor, spark plugs. started the engine. the engine started and ran but i noticed water not came out from the pee hole, and gas came out carburator.
please let me know what can i do.
thank you

JackLo

Cadet
Re: 402 Mercury carburator

you will prob have to rebuild the carb you can get a kit from Vintage marine or this site
there is a water test hole right between/near the spark plugs (brass nut) open that see if the water is getting up to the motor area if not it it a lower leg issue
did you put the impeller lock key in?
if the water is getting to the head with presssure then the outlet is plugged

just some thoughts
I am working on a similar project roght now

icon07

Cadet

thanks jack.
I just took out the carburator and i will work on it this weekend.
yes i did put the impellor's lock key in. you mention about the water test hole.
Do i need to open the nut and turn on the engine to see if the water come out or not? you said if the water is not getting up is the lower unit issue. if the water is getting up but no water come out the pee hole so what is the problem?

JackLo

Cadet

Ya when you get your carb fixed fire up the motor and remove the brass nut between the plugs if water comes out with good pressure you have at least narrowed down the problem....
the nut just connets to the cooling area around the head

my guess would be the part where the final tell tale hose comes from

was there any warm air coming out of the pee hole?

the pipe that goes into the water pump was also a bit tricky to line up...

I got mine going this morning will try the lake tomorrow
hopefully my sealed up water jacket gasket holds up to a run