40 hp wont start

40 hp mariner 1995 0g058936 electric start,
Bought it ran great second time I used it had problems
and wouldn't run correctly. There was a small "primer bulb" next to the pull start was leaking replaced it and still had problems.
Does this bulb suck fuel from carb bowl and inject it into the engine?
Becouse I hope I installed it correctly.
I then put it in the shop After having it for two months the guy told me he didn't have time to do the repairs but sold me the cdm modules "Things with the spark wires atached to them" for $200 and that didn't work.
When I hold the atached spark plug 1 inch away from engine it has a great blue spark 3/4 inch away.When I try to start the engine after a minute of cranking the is a pop or a backfire only then light smoke and fuel come out of a little port of the engine.
Hope I didn't overwhelme you with too much info but any help would be greatly appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 40 hp wont start

Ok... it's a 2 cylinder (have to make this clear because 40's came out in 2, 3 and 4 cylinder). Is it remote control or tiller handle?

What do you mean by "small primer bulb next to the pull start"? Electric starts don't have a pull start...

If it's a tiller handle electric start there is a primer on the tiller.. That is for priming a cold engine, just like pumping the accelerator pedal on an old carbed car...

Smoke and fuel out of 'a little port of the engine'.... where? Do you have the firing order right? Tried swapping the plug leads?

Need more input....

Chris..........

2 cylnder, tiller handel, electric start with a pull start also.
I am going to switch the plug leads right now will let you know the out come .
THANKS FOR THE TIP

Captain Achris your a genious I swaped out the plug wires and it fired right up.
The info you gave saved me hundreds of dollars and the ability to hit the river this weekend.
Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Duplicate threads are unwelcome, hunter. I just spent ten minutes answering your other version of this same thread. Not good forum manners.

achris

Duplicate threads are unwelcome, hunter. I just spent ten minutes answering your other version of this same thread. Not good forum manners.

Are you upset at him???

achris

EDIT

You have a reply, and a PM.... Please don't be so impatient, it's been less than 10 hours... and I have to sleep sometime... :D

Last edited by a moderator:

I apoligize for the unwelcome forum edicate.
It was my first time and wasn't sure if my first post was published or not.
Anyway thanks to all who tried to help.