40 HP sensor coil adjustment

Stevewr54

Cadet
My '86 Evinrude E40ELCD needs the sensor coil under the flywheel replaced.
The manual says I need a special OMC tool to adjust the gap between the
magnets on the flywheel. Are there any other methods? Thanks in advance,
Steve

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 HP sensor coil adjustment

What is the part number of that special tool?

fixmyevinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a similar problem some years ago on a 1990 25 hp Johnson motor. There are 2 coils under my flywheel on top of the motor and the screws loosened on one causing problems. I would assume you have a similar setup. My fix was to make a round steel ring the correct size and set it on the top of the motor and set the coil to the ring. As you probably know you are trying to maintain an air gap between the coils and the magnets on the flywheel. If I remember correctly I measured the ID of the underside of the flywheel and also measured from the center of the crankshaft to the outside edge of the good coil and calculated a dimension for the ring. I am a toolmaker and was fortunate to have access to measuring equipment and lathes. If you have access or know someone who does this kind of work maybe they could help you. If you live anywhere near St. Louis, MO I would let you borrow my ring if it is the correct size and I suspect there is a good chance it is. Good Luck and if I can help let me know.

Stevewr54

Cadet

I will have that part # on Sun. The boat is at the cabin. I'm going to the boat
show in St. Louis in Feb. Maybe we can set something up. Thanks all, Steve

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That is what I suspected. I make those rings, originally intended for setting the coils' air gap the older magnetos but was not sure if it is also applicable to the CD sensors. Same tool. I got 'em.

Attachments

• Coil Ring Std.jpg
    Coil Ring Std.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 0