40 hp Nissan Rough idle etc.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1999 40hp Nissan that I puchased last year. It has a rough idle and runs rough at all speeds. I have had it "tuned" by three different shops (no Nissan dealers in this area), replaced the plugs, new fuel and tank. Nothing seems to help. Plugs are wet with unburned fuel when I check them. What gives?

crab bait

Captain
Re: 40 hp Nissan Rough idle etc.

i have a 5 year old nissan 40 .. bought new..<br />never ever a tool touched it..'cept a water impeller.. un-crated it an nary an adjustment,,ever.. <br /><br />it always runs great an can idle all day long..<br /><br />this year ,, ran bad first time out.. <br /><br />had a combo of minor problems.. <br /><br />the primer bulb was bad..<br />had an air leak in fuel hose clamp..<br />an drained the carb bowls an chunks of varnish came out.. ( had to drain a few more times afterwards )<br /><br />check for leaks,, take off the vent hose at tank an stick in a air compressor blow nozzle in the port.. <br /><br />blow the tank alittle with air an listen for leaks..

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Strange. I took my boat out today and the motor ran fine. And all I did was gap the plugs!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Most problems with outboards really are a simple fix....that can cost thousands and take a lot of time to figure out.