40 hp Johnson question.

geoff69

Seaman Apprentice
I Need a little advice re the following please.
I have a chance to buy a 40 hp Johnson at what I think is a very good price.Of course,I could be wrong which is why I am here now.It is a 1976 model with pretty low hours but for some reason i have not yet gone into it is minus the ignition assembly,ie flywheel and backplate and all the bits.
My question is how much do you think it would cost to replace the assembly? just a ballpark figure will do.I was thinking a going motor this year and size in good shape would probably set me back at least $500 so would it be a good deal.I can do the work myself Ok.Thanks in advance.
Geoff69

PS It is electric start with all the cables.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 hp Johnson question.

One would have to wonder why anybody would cannabalize an otherwise good motor for parts. And of course, that leads to the next question...what else is wrong with it besides the missing ignition system?

Many of those parts, including the flywheel are listed as NLA (No Longer Avaialble). So you will have to find another parted-out motor to fix it. That is the best way to go anyway, price wise. I suppose even if you can find new parts in somebody's stock, it would still come in under your $500 figure. It just is awfully hard to guess.