40 HP Evinrude S.L.O.W.

I have been told my engine could have S.L.O.W.<br />How do you tell? <br />Model TE40ELCEC<br />Serial G 02305364<br />Where are the smarts of this system? How do you test it? I read a post about pulling the temp. switch wire,But how do you test the smarts themselves?<br /><br />A question for Joe Reeves, if your reading this, when setting timing with your procedure will timing affected if you use a sparkplug with .030" gap instead of a spark tester with a 7/16" gap? :confused:

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 40 HP Evinrude S.L.O.W.

I'm not Joe Reeves buy I doubt your engine has S.L.O.W. How many wires from the temp sensor? S.L.O.W has two.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Only one wire coming from temp. sw. Thanks :) <br /><br /> I was only asking Joe about his timing procedure and appreciate any and all help I can get. Thanks Hooty.

I found an old post that says there should be a tan wire on the power pack, mine only has 2 small wires. 1 orange/blue and 1 orange/green. I'm glad to hear I don't have S.L.O.W. 1 more thing I can rule out. Still wondering about spark gap and timing. Thanks guys. :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

This engine has the CD2USL system, which has S.L.O.W. One method to test is run engine about 4000 rpms in water, in gear with test prop, or boat in water, engine in gear. At 4000 rpms, ground tan wire at temp switch, rpms should drop to about 2500 rpms. When you do the timing you should check the rollers in the linkage, rollers that are missing the clear plastic sleeve should be replaced, the missing sleave will move the timing close to 4 degrees. Lots of ways to do the timing, but final check of timing should be done at about 5000 rpms.

Hey thanks clanton, that was your old post I was reading. It was for a different year. Appreciate the accurate advice. :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

It is also inportant to keep all wires as close to the orignal position on engine as possible, and use orignal equipment sparkplugs and sparkplug wires.