40 hp evin idle

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi folks! <br /> I finally got this motor running (model 40153g) after head gasket/cooling problems and it is NICE!<br /> I do have an issue that is odd to me. It doesn't seem to idle down as low as I am used to on my 18 and 20 horse Johnny's. I have double checked my link and sync, the carburetor is completely closed (by the link arm),the throttle arm is "tooth for tooth" on the throttle shaft, and the control box knob is backed all the way out but it still idles too high. Sometimes it's even too high to come out of gear after it has been running fast. <br />Anybody ever run in to this scenario? Also all hoses everywhere have been replaced as I just acquired this engine. :confused:

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 40 hp evin idle

Just putting my 2 cents in, but does the choke stay open when its at the idle position? I had a small motor where as when I went down to idle, the butterfly spring was loose and the air getting sucked into the carb would pull the choke slightly closed & bring up the rpm's.

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haven't thought of that. Unfortunately it'll be two weeks before I can get back to the river. Did you find this out while it was running or notice that it could be possible while messing with the linkage at home?

Scotty's Fujiboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found this out with the hood off & in a barrel after i got home from the lake. wanted to set idle & thats when i noticed it. So I just took spring off, gave it a bend and vwola... all better<br />like my saying says below!

krb113

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Haven't got it to the river yet, but I did a LOT of checking on the "link and sync". There was a "made up" linkage bar from the wheel to the carb. I figured this was incorrect and checked thru my parts and found one same size. But is it really the right size?!! <br /> I know!! I was an engineering tech in earlier life! Can't help it. Seems like the correct linkage should be a tad longer so that as the eccentric screw to adjust will actually make a difference as it does not seem to help with what is on there now. Or the wheel is worn down too much which I don't think it is.