40 HP 1960's Evinrude seeping oil from ports?

I have a 1960ish 40HP Evinrude, that I purchased 2 months ago. It's my first boat so I have no idea what I'm doing but I am very mechanically inclined. I replaced the lower unit gear oil, test ran the motor, and then found it is letting water into the lower unit. I have already purchased a water pump and lower unit seal kit. After the test run there were a couple of ports that seeped a milky black oil. The ports are quite small and I am thinking this is water mixed with the 2 stroke oil, because my lower gear oil was a milky yellow, so I would have noticed a difference. If it helps the ports seem to be open to the exhaust housing. but the one leaking the most black milky oil was the the very bottom just slightly above the gear housing. (it does look like there is a channel from the exhaust housing to that port though) Thanks in advance for any help!
photo(1).JPG

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 40 HP 1960's Evinrude seeping oil from ports?

It is normal to see a bit of 2 stroke oil from exhaust housing to leak there.---Pressure test the gearcase to find leaks.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

To not have an oil leak showing there is a bad thing. It means that port is plugged and water would sit there and maybe present a freeze damage hazard. Lot's of old OMC(1950's) are plugged there.

To not have an oil leak showing there is a bad thing. It means that port is plugged and water would sit there and maybe present a freeze damage hazard. Lot's of old OMC(1950's) are plugged there.

Good to know!