4 stroke yamaha drive shaft stuck in crank

arboatdr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm trying to put an impeller in a 4 stroke yamaha 100hp. The drive shaft is stuck in the crank. Have changed many impellers and know for sure all the bolts are out. The lower unit will not come off. Tried to pull the powerhead and it wouldn't budge either. Any ideas on how to get it unstuck without doing further damage? I'm sure the splines have made a lip in the crank and/or just siezed up. I've used prybars, had the powerhead supported on hoist overnight to see if it would pop loose, tried rotating the flywheel in both directions while pulling on the foot. I'd leave it alone but it overheats at high rpm and the customer has never serviced the impeller. I'm afraid I need to get serious with it now and cut the foot off so I can remove the powerhead and get some heat to the crank and shaft.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4 stroke yamaha drive shaft stuck in crank

hello<br /> well now its time to tell the customer about all that miss maint is gonna cost him an engine. odds are the crank is bad now as well. boy he saved mucho dinero by not servicing his motor. the problem is the shaft splines also drive the oil pump. I have had some that we cut a hole in the exhaust housing then cut the shaft. I did a 225 evinrude last summer that I got a sawzall under the tiller after breaking up the power head adaptor. we were replacing the midsection anyway cause it broke, anyway we never did get the shaft out of the crank. we finnaly bored it out with a lathe and found the splines were eat off anyway. maint only costs if its not done. I have never seen a WELL maintained engine that would not come apart. so to answer your question. cutting the shaft and reshimming the pinion with a new shaft. shaft is about 400 labor to cut it and replace it is about 6 to 8. labor to replace the crank is about 35 hours if all the steps are followed. if all the steps are followed you will assemble and disasemble the engine 5 times while checking bearing clearences.<br /> is the motor really worth it and does ypour shop have the tools and facilities to tackle this?<br /> good luck and keep posting<br /> PS make sure you tell the guy you did not stick it. Hopefully you just missed a bolt someplace.