4-STROKE OUTBOARDS - WHICH OIL FILTER????

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone know if there is a cross reference table out there, that shows what 4-stroke motors use which size oil filter? I'm guessing, but there may only be a dozen or so different sizes.<br /><br />I have some oil filters from a 1996 Mariner 4-stroke that look exactly like the oil filter on the new 2004 18 HP Nissan I just bought, but I am afraid to use them on it.<br /><br />Naturally, I only plan on using Nissan recommended oil filters until the warrenty expires too..<br /><br />Anyway, if there is a cross reference table out there (similar to the ones available for props), post here where to find it, if you don't mind.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Ron

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 4-STROKE OUTBOARDS - WHICH OIL FILTER????

Seadawg<br /><br />This site may help: You will need the number off your Nissan filter. Look on the bottom right hand side...<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />Or:<br /><br /> Fram Click on parts catalog on the left.<br /><br />Personally, for the cost, I would continue to use Nissan filters even after the warranty expires. Then if there is a problem in the future, your covered, even if you have to fight for it But that's just me...

BillP

Captain

I have a 96 50hp 4s mariner and use merc oil filters but my dealer told me fram makes the identical filter. Cost difference is about $8 merc and $4 fram.

kozanecki01

Seaman Apprentice

I work on my motorcycle engine lot more than my outboard and I've learned to stay away from Fram oil filters. They use a cardboard cap inside and will blow out if the pressure gets high enough. They may be good enough for your car engine, but I'd stay away from them for other engine applications. Just my two cents, but I believe it's worth a few more bucks to keep paper products out of my oil filter. If STP makes one for your engine, they are a good choice or just go with your manufactures brand.

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys. Yea, I have 4 of the oil filters for a 1996 50 HP Mariner, and with boat motors being boat motors, I hate to not use the oil filters. I found a corss reference table for Nissan filters on one web site, so I now have some numbers to play with.<br /><br />Now to find the 50 HP Mariner oil filter numbers......

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

RB, the Fram site is neat!<br /><br />It also cross-referenced the same Fram filter for the 18HP Nissan as my older 50 HP Mariner engine. Which tells me that they should be the same. Go figure, huh! <br /><br />I'll bet that there are really only about 4 or 5 different oil filters, that cover all makes of 4-stroke outboards, if somebody too the time to compare them.<br /><br />But for my motor, I was really just curious, and I do plan on using the factory recommended filters, at least until the warrenty expires.

BillP

Captain

Filter quality changes from engine to engine. A couple of years ago our local Ford tractor dealer(in Cocoa, FL) made a display of popular oil filters cut in half showing the innards. The WIX brand had styrofoam "shipping peanuts" for the filtering media (no paper or pleted element)and were more oil cooler than filter. Fram and Ford OEM were conventional construction. Now people say WIX is good and Fram is bad. You have to cut each engine's filter up to know what is real. Next time I change oil in my 50hp Mariner I'll cut the filter and compare it to a cut up<br />Fram.