4 month old fuel, is it any good

Clearsky

Cadet
New to boating. Have not used boat for 4-5 months but after last outing I added fuel stabilizer to fuel tank and ran the engine on muffs for 10 minutes and then shut down.

It's an Evinrude 60HP 1990 model (vro is disconnected).

The fuel stabilizer says it extends fuel life by up to 12 months, but having read so many posts about bad fuel and the problems it can cause I'm nervous about using it.

Do you think the fuel would be OK? or not worth the chance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4 month old fuel, is it any good

how much fuel is it. fresh is allways better, but i have one motor the burns of little fuel 6 gallons can last me 6 months with no problem.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

In my experience, you won't have any problem with four month old fuel. I would try to run the tank down substantially in the next few months. I think you were even a bit permature using your fuel stabilizer but better safe than sorry.
fp

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here on the opposite side of the globe our boats are in storage from early November until mid March or so. Fuel that has been stabilized is not a problem. Obviously fresh is better as was pointed out. If the tank was not full when stored, top it off with fresh fuel and go boating.

Clearsky

Cadet

tashasdaddy said:
how much fuel is it. fresh is allways better, but i have one motor the burns of little fuel 6 gallons can last me 6 months with no problem.

There's about 10 gallons in it.

By these posts it appears I'll be OK to use it.

Thanks for the help.