4-Blade Prop on Merc 3.0

Gary Graycar

Cadet
I am in the process of purchasing a new 05 Bayliner 195 Classic with Alpha Merc 3.0. Yea, I know about Bayliners reputation. Just hoping that the hand laid hulls with lifetime warranty have improved the overall quality. Anyway, need an opinion on putting a 4 bladed prop on the 3.0 to improve plane and mid-range efficiency. I know that I will sacrifice a mph or two on top end. Any thoughts please.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 4-Blade Prop on Merc 3.0

sounds like a great idea gfish. as long as you get the correct wot rpm and dont mind the top speed hit, do it.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

GO with a Hi five. You can find them used on ebay all the time. This prop will make the best use of your boats power to plane quickly and doesn't knock your top speed but a couple mph. I have tried all sorts of props, and for quick planing and midrange cruising this is by far the best. The 4 blades didn't even come close.<br />Good luck.

tommays

Admiral

gfish<br />as a new boat owner the best thing you can do is NOT buy a prop right now<br /><br />you need to find out how the boat does stock and what your real world use ends up being <br /><br />i would recomend AGAINST stainless props until your real sure your not going to be finding shallow spots with it<br /><br />i have owned many boats and am still very good at finding them at strange boat ramps and all kinds of places and it realy bites when you do that with a big dollar prop<br /><br />tommays