4.3l Vortec upgrade

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I have a 1990 chaparrell 1900se 19' I/O 4.3l with the 2b carb, I have just purchaced vortec heads intake and 4b carb off of a 1999, sea ray for $500.00 , I am wanting advice if i should drop a hotter cam in there while i am at it, and if so whitch one? I am haveing the heads redone at a local machine shop, and can have the beehive springs installed at the same time, I am wondering if the extra $$$ for the beehives and cam are worth the extra? Shoot me your opinions, I am looking forward to the added power of the heads and 4b, right now with the prop I have i am only able to hit 4300 rpm, at wot, with a Power2 17p-23p two speed prop, I am hoping that the extra HP will be able to put me in the 4600-4800 rpm range and get a little better hole shot for pulling up skiers when the boat is loaded with 4-5 people. I scrapped the 5.7l swap until i try this first, I did buy the 5.7l merc vortec and outdrive, its sitting in my shop, awaiting results from the 4.3l upgrade. I may tackle this swap this winter but i didnt want the down time this summer. Thanks again Everyone!!!!

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 4.3l Vortec upgrade

also what can i expect as a true HP gain? it is rated as a 175hp 4.3l now, 30 for the 4bbl and intake and 25-30 for the vortec heads?

Bergerson

Seaman Apprentice

I am ready to do the swap, going to start on it tomorrow, unless anyone has any advice on a cam??

TilliamWe

Banned

Keep it at around .488 lift or so, don't go to .500. Not sure what the duration numbers should be, except to say they should seem like low duration numbers. You can't have a lot of valve overlap, or you can (and probably will) suck water into the exhaust ports, especially when shutting down the engine.

And and by the way, it's spelled Chaparral. It's written somewhere on the side of your boat too.

Good luck!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I am a bit to tired now to post all the links..but it would be fairly easy to get 250-265 out of that motor. I will post the links in the next day or so...it really is basic stuff.