4.3l conversion from truck, winterizing problem?

walkerranch

Recruit
engine details 4.3l l block from a 1995 blazer, marine heads & all other parts from 1998 mercruzer engine.

I did the build my self and it has been running flawlessly, but I just pulled all 6 of the drain plugs and on the right (drivers) side pulled the petcock no water, I pushed a copper wire tru the opening suspecting sand, but no water, I completely removed the brass fitting from the block, no water....

Further trouble shooting I put all the plugs and petcocks back in except that drivers side plug started the engine hooked to the hose no water from the removed petcock. I allowed the engine to get up to temp.

When I removed the plugs I put in all had warm/ hot water in them.

I still have The cracked block (1998) and it appears the petcock hole is deeper than the 1995 (blazer block)by apporximatley 1/4 inch.

Does any one have experience with winterizing this engine? Is there a difference in the casting? This engins does not have the knock out for a mechanical fuel pump.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3l conversion from truck, winterizing problem?

Ayuh,.... Must be plugged with crud,...

The castings are the Same block...

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

+1 Is this your first time trying to drain since rebuild? Did you have block hot tanked before rebuilding? That would have removed any garbage from oil and water passages.

walkerranch

Recruit

This is the first winterizing, we did not hot tank, because it was a engine that was running well.
Forgive my ignorance but if it is the same casting why is there no hole for the mechanical fuel pump? and why is the hole where the drain goes not as deep as the marine block?

cr2k

Captain

Same casting different final machining.

Bondo

Staff member

Forgive my ignorance but if it is the same casting why is there no hole for the mechanical fuel pump?

Ayuh,... My guess is, their different Vintages,...
But, the Drains are the same...