4.3 vortec

MooseHootie

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does any one know what cam is in the new vortec marine engine. I looked up GM's cam spec's. They are 224 I 224 E at .050 and 450 I and 460 E.

MGallik

Seaman
Re: 4.3 vortec

It's also a roller cam.<br /><br />That 224/224 could be improved upon with a duel pattern cam. About 6 to 10 degrees more exhaust than intake is the way to go with the stock, through prop exhaust.<br /><br />Thats about all the lift you can handle without new valve springs. There's .60 clearance before coil bind above the .460 maximum recommended lift, you can steal .05 but I wouldn't push it without "bigger" springs. Over .430 or so, more lift won't give you as much as longer duration, you've already got that. That cam should make peak power at about 4800 rpm.<br /><br />Over all, thats a pretty good cam. The work and cost involved in replacing that cam wouldn't be worth it for the little bit more a dual pattern would have to give. If you seem short on power, it's probably the FI or the ignition rev limiter holding you back.<br /><br />Does that help?