4.3 starter issues....

stormrider

Cadet
Hey fellas! I need a little help. I bought a 1992 Mariah MX19 w/ a 4.3 Merc. Long story short, after replacing the engine due to cracks in block/heads, I have had a starting problem. The starter seems to drag when it's cold. I can hit the key several times and it eventually will start (most of the time). The funny thing is, it does it mostly after a run and it has had time to cool down..sarts great when it's hot. Here's a list of things that I have done:
Replaced starter
Replaced dual battery switch (even eliminated it & wired a single battery up)
Charged & load tested both batteries--good
Checked & cleaned all battery cables
Moved the ground location from bell housing to the starter
Battery cables look fine, even just behind the terminals where they usually corrode. I am at a loss.. but I have a "gut" feeling that water may be coming into the cylinder via the exhaust manifolds--will ck that tonight..any other suggestions would be appreciated.

stormrider

Cadet
Re: 4.3 starter issues....

Thanks for all the help fellas....lol
Pulled right bank plugs and cyl 2 4 & 6 have water in them. Could it be the gasket between the riser & manifold? It looks rather suspicious...

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi Storm, could be the riser gasket. There is a diagram from DonS on the site (do a search) that shows where material may rot away the sealing flange of the riser, in which case the gasket will do no good. If you run in salt, exhaust mannis only go for a few years. It may be rotted or cracked inside. Freshwater last many years. Although you don't say what you're working on the result is the same. Pull'em inspect 'em and if 5 years old in salt replace them.

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My bad, reread your first post and see it's a merc. Good thing is they are available. Bad thing, they all cost a good buck.