4.3 raw water pump leaking.

tripc

Seaman Apprentice
Just need some clarification on this.
Yesterday took the boat out(06 Chap 280 Signature) Twin 4.3 volvo penta. 200 hours and I just bought the boat last week.
After cruising for about 30 mins into a marina. As I was leaving I noticed the starboard motor was running hot. Over 175. The port runs at 130-140. I turned the motor off until I got to a clear spot in the lake. I opened the hatch and saw a little drip drip from under the raw water pump. I putted for awhile on 1 motor waiting till the other one cooled off a little bit. I started the other one and got on plane and all was good. It was holding regular temp while on plane. As soon as i slowed it started getting hot again.

From what Ive found i need a new raw pump. I am going to try to replace just the seal on the pump to see if that works so I can save 350 deer.
Why would the motor run hot at low speeds? And be fine at plane speed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 raw water pump leaking.

May be sucking some air around that leaky seal, which cuts down the amount of water it pulls from the drive.
May also be a worn impeller, when was the last time the impeller was replaced?

tripc

Seaman Apprentice

When I bought the boat from the dealer I looked at all the RO's. And both impellers where replaced. 1 seapump was replaced but I guess it was the port side.

Thalasso

Commander

If you bought it last week from the dealer i would think he might help you out.give it a try,can't hurt.Maybe he will give you a pump and you put it on.