4.3 OSI Engine flush...Can I winterize this way??????

puff tentacle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This is the first time I am attempting to winterize my boat. On my 2005 4.3 Volvo OSI engines there is a hose connection on the engines that you can run water through to flush the engine. A friend told me that all I have to do is connect a hose to that connection and run it to a bucket with a spicket and anti freeze in it. Turn the engine on and when anti freeze comes out the outdrives your done. Is that it????? thanks for any and all input. I am a newbie to winterizing and cant afford to keep paying the mechanic for something that I think I can do.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 4.3 OSI Engine flush...Can I winterize this way??????

No, that is a flushing hose, not a winterizing hose.

Bondo

Staff member

This is the first time I am attempting to winterize my boat. On my 2005 4.3 Volvo OSI engines there is a hose connection on the engines that you can run water through to flush the engine. A friend told me that all I have to do is connect a hose to that connection and run it to a bucket with a spicket and anti freeze in it. Turn the engine on and when anti freeze comes out the outdrives your done. Is that it????? thanks for any and all input. I am a newbie to winterizing and cant afford to keep paying the mechanic for something that I think I can do.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... That method gives ya a 50/50 chance that you'll have a cracked block, come Spring....

Have a read Here, 'bout what oughta be done....
It's found in Here, which is alota Great Info you oughta read through...

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

Turn the engine on and when anti freeze comes out the outdrives your done.

in any case you must wait until the t-stat fully opens or you are really done next spring.

No, that is a flushing hose, not a winterizing hose.

on the other hand - such straight forward thinking may lead you in a situation that somebody scratches "p...y" on a tree and you break yourself a very sensitive organ because you just believed how its named. :facepalm: