4.3 Mercuiser hard starting

stopher8

Cadet
I have a 1994 4.3LX 4brl Mercruiser. It has the Webber carb, looks just like a Carter AFB. It runs great but its a little hard to start. I just got it a few weeks ago so i'm still "feeling it out" so i'm working through a few issues. The choke assembly on the carb isn't hooked up. Its got the mechanical set up with the coiled spring mounted to the manifold. It looks rusted and bound up. I'm wondering should I repair all that or do they make an electric change over kit to put in its place? An electric choke would be better and more reliable wouldn't it? I just put plugs in it, it does need a cap and rotor so that's next and the wires look new. The carb is coming off to get a rebuild but I'd like to wait until the end of the season for that. Tell me your thoughts and thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1994 4.3LX 4brl Mercruiser. It has the Webber carb, looks just like a Carter AFB. It runs great but its a little hard to start. I just got it a few weeks ago so i'm still "feeling it out" so i'm working through a few issues. The choke assembly on the carb isn't hooked up. Its got the mechanical set up with the coiled spring mounted to the manifold. It looks rusted and bound up. I'm wondering should I repair all that or do they make an electric change over kit to put in its place? An electric choke would be better and more reliable wouldn't it? I just put plugs in it, it does need a cap and rotor so that's next and the wires look new. The carb is coming off to get a rebuild but I'd like to wait until the end of the season for that. Tell me your thoughts and thanks in advance.

Little hard to start and the choke isn't working, I think there is your problem

Nothing wrong with the mechanical choke but will agree the electric works better. that said if you would adjust the one you have so it will close when cold it should start much easier

stopher8

Cadet
Well that was my point, the mechanical choke that's there is all rusted up and some of its missing. I can probably find the pieces aftermarket and replace what's bad but if I have to buy anything I'd rather go electric. Will a later model elec choke fit or is there an aftermarket change over.