4.3 mercruiser engine replacement

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 sea ray that is equipped with a 4.3 mercruiser, unfortunately the block is cracked so I'm going to need to replace the engine. Does anybody know where I can find a good used one or new one or what I will be looking for for a price. Anybody with information would be great thanks.

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3 mercruiser engine replacement

I am going through this exact same issue right now. Scroll down and fine my post, "engine blew up today". The cheapest marine long block I have found is $1450 shipped. I have been toying with buying a crate motor for a car, and doing the retro fitting to save some cash. I will post the link for the marine engine when I find it.

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer

OP, make sure if you don't have it winterized, you at least pull the drain plugs. Takes 5 minutes and will save this from happening again.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a 1990 sea ray that is equipped with a 4.3 mercruiser, unfortunately the block is cracked so I'm going to need to replace the engine. Does anybody know where I can find a good used one or new one or what I will be looking for for a price. Anybody with information would be great thanks.

If its just externally cracked you can run it the way it is. Make sure your bilge pump works though. But if you have oil and water mixing due to the cracked block, then you will need a reman.

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

So a little update...I got a buddy at a marine shop that talked to his boss they can get me a 4.3 installed ready to go 2500 out the door tax and everything. Seems like a pretty good deal to me and yet I'll only be in the boat 5k. My question being a perfect condition 1990 sea ray, hull is mint, interior reupholstered and a documented new engine with low hours what are we looking at for a value? Thanks guys for any tidbits!

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Prolly looking at $5000. Check nada, there is a section for boats and trailers. Price will be different, wherever you are located. Just check your options. Nada will get you close.