4.3 mercruiser cam question

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 4.3 mercruiser cam question

That's what my parts book shows.Rollers.<br />DHP

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

My 1991 is a roller. Although my manual says before 1990 they were regular lifters.<br />Pull the intake and you will know right away.

MooseHootie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did not want to pull it apart to see. I thought I could add a roller cam for a few more horses.

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

You can do that regardless of what you have in there now. It will be a little cheaper to add a performance roller because you won't have to switch over to roller lifters. Check out lunati cams for performance 4.3liter marine flat tappet cams and crane cams for roller. <br />I did alot of research on this topic a while back and here is what I bought for my 1991 boat.<br />Edelbrock TBI roller cam.<br />Comp cam roller rockers<br />holley 4bbl 4160 marine carb<br />volvo 4bbl intake manifold.<br />I put the carb and intake on last summer and I am waiting until I pull the motor out next month to put the rest in. I am only doing this because I have valve float at above 4200rpm and the heads need new valve springs. <br />The boat also needs new interior and I figured It would be easier to rebuild the motor when out of the boat than in.<br />The important thing to remember with swapping cams is the lobe seperation angle<br />to much will cause reversion.<br />Most marine cams are 110-112 degrees<br />Stick with one for marine or truck use. idle-4800rpms.<br />I will post back when I am done with the motor!