4.3 liter Volvo

RustyC

Seaman Apprentice
I am looking at a 2000 21 foot walk around with a 4.3 liter Volvo motor with 70 hours. It has a carburetor, not fuel injection. The boat has been out of the water since last season. The boat yard says it was properly winterized Fogged etc. My question is what to look for when checking the engine, and how long will the motor stay winterized? I have only had out boards on previous boats. The motor comes with an extended warranty till 2005. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick Byers

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 4.3 liter Volvo

Rusty If the engine was prepared right when it was winterized it will probably be ok. Prior to purchase you should spend a little pocket change and have a good marine mechanic start the engine and listen to it then do a compression check and a leak down test on it and check the oil pressure with a mechanical gage hooked up direct to the engine. Also have the drive unit inspected. this should be the very minimum that you have done. Then have the floor and transom checked for soft spots that would indicate possible water damage to the structure. just my opinion as a boat owner and mechanic. <br /> Rick