4.3 L OMC

dirt1bike

Cadet
I have a 1990 4-winns that is in real good shape. The engine overheated & I thought I blew a head gasket. The heads were checked, but when I reassembled the engine, I was having poor compression in cylinder 3. What is best, have this engine rebuilt, buy a short block, buy a long block, or part out the boat and get another. This is not the original engine. I am concerned with the OMC engine since parts arte getting scarce. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4.3 L OMC

Bart,<br />Don't give up on that engine so soon. Isn't that a GM/Chevrolet engine? If so, your internal parts will be around forever.That's a very popular engine on boats.I'm sure if you can't get external parts(alternator-e.g.)<br />from OMC/Bombardier there will be after market suppliers around.<br />As far as your current poor compression problem, it could be stuck rings or valve problems among other things.I'm not even going to suggest what to do on that.I'll <br />step aside for someone with more knowledge in that area help you out. ;)

dirt1bike

Cadet

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I am going to pull the engine & get someone to take a look at it. The engine is ready to lift out, but I was wondering if I should remove the outdrive first. It appears the engine will lift straight out then, but I thought I could get a little more advise. Again, thanks for the help. This is really neat.

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bart,<br />I don't know where all the engine gurus are <br />the last couple of days.I believe you want to pull the outdrive before pulling the engine.I'm pretty sure you'd screw up the splines on the shaft if nothing else.Aside from that you have to realign the engine when it goes back in. That alone requires outdrive removal.<br />Another suggestion- wouldn't it be easier to take the boat to someone with the engine still in the boat.It might not have to be removed ;)