4.3 in a 20 ft boat...enough hp?

oldsquaw76

Seaman Apprentice
im looking at a 20 foot regal with a 4.3 v6 in it, is this enough power for the boat or will i need more.

thanks in advance!!

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4.3 in a 20 ft boat...enough hp?

if its a heavy cuddy would probably burn as much gas but take less time to get on plane with just getting the V8

oldsquaw76

Seaman Apprentice

no this is an open bow boat, i forgot to add.

another question, the guy told me on the phone this 4.3 makes more hp than others, is this true?

airframer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4.3's are great. plenty horsepower.

treeman

Seaman

i have a 2150 bayliner it,s a 1986 open bow its a heavey boat i have a 350 pushin 300 hp when boat is loaded down with people and were ski or tubing i would not want any smaller motor..... i guess it depends on what you want to do with it and how many people will be on board.. luck luck have fun be safe.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

too small in my opinion. I was in a 18'6" w/ 4.3 MPI and it seem a little slow starting out.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

4.3's come in different configurations and some produce more power than others. Mine's a Vortec with a 4 barrel and I can hit mid 50's. Its all in how its propped to. I have a labbed 23p for cruising and top end, and I have a 21p for watersports. Props take about 1 minute to change, so its not a huge deal.

More power is always better, but I do boat with a friend who has a 20 or 21 foot Sea Ray with a 2 barrel 350, with a SS Lazer II prop he can get about 48-50 mph. It kills him when I come smoking by with my 6 cylinder....

So back to your question, is a 4.3 enough?.... I'd say it depends on how you prop it, but yes, 4.3 make plenty of power.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

too small in my opinion. I was in a 18'6" w/ 4.3 MPI and it seem a little slow starting out.

:rofl:

Dude, you're a riot!

Post a pic of your boat! :)

We had an 18' Rinker cuddy with a 4.3, ran excellent. Don't expect to haul 8 people and a tube and you're good.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have 2 5.7's and still want more power. It's never enough.:D:D:D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Old Squaw, I had a 4.3LX (205HP) in my 19' SeaRay. It would hit just about 45MPH (downhill, with the wind LOL) with a crew of 2 or 3. It had enough power, with a 21"pitch prop to pull a skiier w/ 6 in the boat or cruise comfortably with a boatload. I always thought the SR was a bit heavy for it's size, so if your boat is reasonable in weight, you should be OK.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

It is not so much the amount of HP as it is how you use it. Additionally, HP is rated at near peak RPMs (4800 to 5000 for example). Most boaters are looking for more HP to help them get "out of the Hole", up on plain. This occurs at the 2300 to 2500 RPM range. The additional HP of the larger engine is less than half of the "rated HP" differential. For example you may have a 4.3 V6 with 200 HP and a 5.0 V8 with 240 HP. The differential is 40 HP at peak RPMs but at 2300 RPMs the differential may be only 18 HP. Now add extra weight at the stern for the heavier V8 and the boat is now more out of balance which off sets some of the benefit of the extra usable HP.
Go for balance with reasonable HP!

The hull design dictates the boat performance as much if not more than the power plant. There are many considerations when choosing a boat, it's design, and intended use. If you intend to pull skiers, don't buy a tug.

Once you have chosen your boat and assuming it serves your intended use, you can still alter the hull design to improve performance, and handling. Actually you can do this quite easily with Trim Tabs. At slow speeds they can be deployed down to create extra lift to get "out of the Hole", when cruising they can be retracted to improve speed and etc. Trim Tabs modify the hull design to coincide with the boat and sea conditions.

If getting "out of the Hole" is your prime consideration, think about this. How much HP at 2500 Rpm's is used to climb a 15 to 17 degree grade ( "the Hole"). Also think about this; when driving in the mountains you notice warning signs that indicate "Steep" grades of 6 degrees. Your asking your boat to climb 15 to 17 degrees, and do it quickly. If your boat could talk I don't think you would like what its saying nor the place where it is suggesting you go. Hint, it is very hot there.

Let's say you could reduce the grade (hole) to 6 degrees or less. How much HP would then be available to get "out of the hole" or now we might call it a "bump".
Lest look at it: Hypothetical

Engine option 1 (4.3 V6)
Rated HP at 2500 RPMs is 100 HP (1/2 the peak HP)
16 Degree grade requires 80% of the HP to get "out of the hole" onto plane
Total required to get on plane is = 80 HP

Engine option 2 (5.0 V8)
Rated HP at 2500 RPMs is 120 HP (1/2) the peak HP)
16 Degree grade requires the same 80 HP
(this does not account for the extra weight of the V8)

Net gain in HP from the larger engine is 20HP

Option 3 (4.3 V6) with trim tabs

Grade reduction in hole shot = 6 degrees or 60% less
Available HP for forward thrust = 48 HP (60% of the 80 HP)

However, bigger and more powerful engines are sexy. Trim Tabs are not!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its plenty of power when propped right, for the use you intend it. The Regal I test drove had a pretty sleek hull, designed for speed. With the right prop, that boat will have a heck of a top end, or a heck of a hull shot, but not both.

Sal, now that you have focused in on a potential boat, you need to read up on props and smart tabs.