4.3 GXI hydraulic steering leak.

rpalmer497

Cadet
I have an ongoing hydraulic steering leak. We have replaced the pump and hose. At idle, we see no leak anywhere. But after a two to three hours of use, there is noticeable fluid in the bilge and I lose power steering. It takes an entire bottle of fluid to be filled. Do I need a new steering ram? We can't find the leak. All suggestions Are welcomed. I have 90 min ride to get home tomorrow so will be nursing it. Thought we had the problem solved with the new house (the old one was wet so we thought that was the leak)

alldodge

Staff member
Its probably the ram. There are some you tube vids on how to rebuild them.

Feel under the ram to check for fluid

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While V/P says you cannot rebuild the ram, which is about $900 new, there is a company in Florida who can rebuild them for about half that. Getting at that thing is not easy, I just replaced the older style one used by OMC and Merc on my old '88 Cobra. Its behind the engine up against the transom, I removed the seats and exhaust system to get access.
The 4 cotter pins you have to remove are the hardest part of it, and in some boats getting at the lower mounting bolt for the unit that screws into the transom mount. I used various combinations of penetrating fluids over a few days before removing them.
These old Bendix units can be rebuilt because the are actually similar to the old Bendix units used on old Corvettes and Ford Mustangs. So you can get a full rebuild kit for approx 50 bucks. I wound up installing a nice used one I got from ebay.....working well so far.....

Attachments

• steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Check the return line connections on the power steering cooler, had a neighbors boat exact same symptoms, was a loose hose clamp on one of the two hydraulic line connections to PS cooler...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
that would be a nice easy solution. In my case it was the control valve leaking where it mates up to the hydraulic cylinder.
Installed:

Attachments

• steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

CapRedbeard

Seaman Apprentice
Agree with alldodge and Lou c - I had to rebuild the ram. Bought a rebuild kit for $100. Hopefully this post helps: