4.3 GXI-D Engine Alignment SX-M Drive

reierme

Cadet
I recently rebuilt my engine and reinstalled. After installation I couldn't get the engine to align, so I bought an alignment tool. After trying to make adjustments at motor mounts to align, I noticed the rear engine mount washers and bolt were loose. I realized that when tightening the lock nut, the bolt turned thru the square nut backing it off. I had taken an engine height measurement at the front of the engine before engine removal. So I removed engine and rear motor mounts and torqued them according to spec. Reinstalled engine and began alignment process. I couldn't get the OEM alignment tool to engage in engine coupler. So I had a friend turn a new tool 1.17 diameter that would allow us to see spacing between tool and gimbal bearing. We made some front mount engine adjustments and slipped a .123 gage between tool and bearing. Tool is tight in the engine coupler. We were able to use a magnet to turn the bearing with gage in and the gage smoothly rolled all 360 around alignment tool. Tried the OEM alignement (
3851083)
tool again and still could not get it to slip into coupler. At this point I'm thinking this tool was either machined incorrectly or it is the wrong item. Regardless, I figured this should be aligned perfectly and tried to install the SX-M stern drive. I cannot get the shaft spline to insert into coupler. Not sure what to try next.

alldodge

Staff member
Just a thought with hope maybe a VP dude will come along.
I would look close at the rear motor mounts. It not uncommon to have to replace the mount bushings because they collapse

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im going to go with the gimble bearing is off a bit and the rear mounts are needing attention. the standard alignment bar is the same for mercruiser and Volvo and the obsolete OMC. it is a standard alignment tool.

did you verify your coupler was good? did you dial indicate it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Agreed,.... All the alignment bars are the same,....

Obviously, it's Not aligned now,.....