4.3 gl not charging battery

Ncutts96

Recruit
Hey everyone I just got this boat running again after a couple years of sitting now the problem seems to be that it's not charging ... I went and bought 2 alternators thinking the one was bad but when I put the new one in still no juice going to the battery while running. Is there anything I can check after the alternator that would prevent it from charging ? I'm lost .

alldodge

Staff member
Key OFF check for 12V on the Orange wire at the ALT
Turn Key ON and see if there is 12V on the purple wire going into the ALT

VP wiring GL B C 4.3.jpg

Ncutts96

Recruit
Wire that's by itself ? Or the purple and green plug? The purple wire by itself does not have 12v

alldodge

Staff member
The Purple wire going to the ALT should have 12V when key is turned ON and 0V when OFF

Your ALT needs 3 connections to work correctly
Orange wire - Output wire to Battery via the Starter post
Black wire - Ground
Purple wire - Excite wire that turns the ALT ON when key is turned ON

If you have zero volts on purple at the ALT connector the ALT will not be turned on

Ncutts96

Recruit
The Purple wire going to the ALT should have 12V when key is turned ON and 0V when OFF

Your ALT needs 3 connections to work correctly
Orange wire - Output wire to Battery via the Starter post
Black wire - Ground
Purple wire - Excite wire that turns the ALT ON when key is turned ON

If you have zero volts on purple at the ALT connector the ALT will not be turned on
I think I figured it out .... so when I had bought the boat the guy told me he jumped something out that had something to do with the fuel pump so it always pumped fuel after looking and what you're saying is correct the guy had a buddy cut the plug off the green and purple wire and wire them together so that the fuel pump had 12v all the time when the key was on... soo I have to get that 2 pin connector wire it back and plug it in and it should be good to go. Thank you for all the help! Really cleared all my confusion up